Frequently Asked Questions
What needs doing before I can start Construction
- Eliminate whether or not a Planning Application is Required
- If Planning Required appoint a competent person that is most suited for your project i.e.
– Only Architecture required
– Interior Remodel
– Interior Design
– 3D Visualisation
– Exterior – Landscape
– Design & Build etc.
- Prepare Planning Drawings
– Design & Access Statement if Required
– Flood Risk Assessment etc.
– Make sure that the appointed person deals and liaise with Planning Authority
– Make amendments if required
– Ultimately obtain the Planning Grant
- Check the Condition of Your Gas Supply
- Check the Condition of your Central Heating Arrangement and Installation – Contemplate a complete Removal Of Radiators and Pipe-work and Replace with New CH Installation
- Check Your Existing Boiler and Install new one if required
- Select the Appropriate Boiler if Considering Under Floor Heating Installation as well as Hot Water Pressurised Cylinder Integration
- If Enlarging Property Definitely Consider Hot Water Pressurised Cylinder 150-300l
- Check the Condition of your Water Supply – Swap Lead for Blue pipe 25/32mm
- Confirm the State Of Your Electrical Installation – Arrange to rewire and Install A New Consumer Unit
- Check Location of Existing Gas and Electric Meter – Arrange relocation if required
- Inspect current Manhole Location and arrange Build Over Agreement with Thames Water if and when required
- Subsequently prepare working/detailed drawings, specification and structural calculations
- Resolve Party Wall Matters
- Appoint a Building Control Inspector
- Choose Contractor
- Commence construction
NB. Two main ingredients for success:
1. Appointment of Competent knowledgable Architectural Designer / Architect / Interior Designer etc. at The Front End (absolutely crucial)
2. Cheap Builder is “Expensive” – Think twice before you go ahead as this might backfire at a later stage – Could be very detrimental to the final outcome and also the resale value of the property – By “Saving” – 15K, you might lose 100K AT THE LATER STAGE.